Children with physical disabilities who are eligible for the California Children Services (CCS) program may receive physical and/or occupational therapy through the Medical Therapy Unit (MTU).
All CCS therapists are specialists in pediatric treatment and equipment needs. The goal of the Medical Therapy Program (MTP) is to promote the greatest possible level of physical independence for eligible children in the areas of functional mobility and activities of daily living. The MTP is a collaborative effort between the family, the therapists and community providers involved in the child’s care. MTUs are located in public schools and the MTP is supported with funding from the state of California and local departments of education.
What services does the Medical Therapy Program provide?
- Occupational and physical therapy treatment at the MTU
- Evaluation and custom fittings of Durable Medical Equipment
- Periodic consultations with school staff
- Attendance at school meetings such as Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) as necessary and appropriate
- Occasional home visits
- Medical Therapy Clinics with CCS team members including the child’s therapist(s) and a CCS paneled physician who is certified by CCS to provide specialized care under California’s CCS regulations
- Medical Case management
Who is eligible for occupational and physical therapy services?
Applicants to the CCS Medical Therapy Program must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Has a long-term neurologic or orthopedic physical disability such as cerebral palsy, spina bifida, arthritis or muscular dystrophy that would benefit from rehabilitative services.
- Lives in Marin County and
- Is under 21 years of age
THERE ARE NO FINANCIAL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THERAPY SERVICES. THERAPY SERVICES ARE PROVIDED AT NO COST TO FAMILIES WHOSE CHILD HAS MET ALL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA.
How do you refer and apply?
Just like the general CCS program, anyone - a parent, teacher, doctor or case manager - can refer a child/young adult to the Medical Therapy Program. Referrals and applications are accepted by phone, mail or fax. Please submit the application form.